When we first started carrying Organic Wine (about a year ago), I was fascinated to learn some new facts. I began looking for No-Sulfite Wine and found that there is no such thing. Sulfites exist on the skin of the grape and therefore, all wine will have some level of these. However, Organic Wine is NSA - No Sulfite Added.
Regular wine add more sulfites to preserve it.
Also, egg whites are run through regular wine also to clarify it. I thought this tip was very interesting...made me wonder if vegans knew this? I'm not against eggs, but many people are and they may not know that they are sipping on wine that has had an egg run through it.
Organic wine will have some red particles accumulating at the bottom of the glass. Drink up! These particles are what hold all the good news for your heart, such as Resveratrol!
Benefits of Organic Red Wine
Health benefits of red wine have made it one of the most written about alcoholic beverages in the recent times. It participates in prevention of conditions ranging from cardiovascular diseases to cancer. Other advantages of red wine include prevention of dementia, combating the aging process, controlling hypertension etc. It can aid in reducing the risk for developing gallstones and kidney stones. It plays a role in boosting the general resistance to allergens and the antioxidants from wine are constituents of some high-end cosmetic formulae. A daily dose of moderate amount of wine can truly work wonders for the body.
Health benefits of red wine have distinguished it from other beverages. Unlike other alcohols, wine does not add significantly to the calorie count and in fact, keeps obesity in check. Wine consumption leads to lowered levels of LDL cholesterol which has positive effects on heart. It provides a rich source of antioxidants which include flavonoids and polyphenols, especially resveratrol, which is an active ingredient in cancer prevention. Wine has been proven to be a rich source of antioxidants and as a powerful substance to prevent cardiovascular diseases. Here are some of the health benefits of red wine:
- Anticancer Properties: Red wine is a rich source of polyphenol called resveratrol, which acts as an antioxidant. It protects the cells of the body from damage and wards of chronic diseases. These antioxidants play major role in the prevention of cancer, including colorectal cancer and lung cancer.
- Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases: According to the findings of the journal Nature, red wine inhibits the synthesis of endothelin-1, a protein responsible for building up of fats along the walls of blood vessels leading to atherosclerosis. Wine also has high levels of procyanidins, a class of phenols, which play a role in the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Clotting Agents: The American Chemical Society has found that phenols found in red wine prevent platelet aggregation, thus countering thromboses which can occlude the inner lining of blood vessels. It has blood thinning properties, and scores over aspirin in this aspect. Aspirin is usually taken as a preventive for heart attacks.
- Prevention of Dementia and Alzheimer’s: Resveratrol in wine also has a neuro-protective role to play and enhances the degradation of plaques which cause Alzheimer’s. It also counters age-related degeneration of neurons.
- Slows the Ageing Process: Harvard Medical School recommends a daily dose of resveratrol for a longer and healthier life.
- Prevents Diabetes: Wine prevents complications caused by oxidative stress during the onset of diabetes mellitus. This also reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases among type 2 diabetes patients.
- Increased Bone Density and Prevention of Osteoporosis: The high silicon content of red wine ensures enhanced bone density and can also act as a protector of bone health in menopausal women due to the phytoestrogens present. Estrogen is commonly used in hormone replacement therapy in menopausal women.
- Prevention of Hypertension: Red wine constituent provinol is effective in easing Nitric Oxide (NO) synthase deficient hypertension.
- Prevention of Gallstones and Kidney Stones: Studies carried out by Harvard Medical School indicate reduced occurrence of gallstones among regular drinkers of moderate serving of wine. Wine also reduces the incidence of kidney stones when consumed in moderation.
- Alleviates Allergies: Red wine has been proved to alleviate allergies in some individuals and boost the resistance to allergens.
- Diuretic: Like other alcohols, wine too has diuretic properties and flushes out the toxins from the body.
- Cosmetic Properties: Resveratrol found in wine has also been shown to reduce the scarring caused by radiation and is a component of many cosmetic applications.